The Definitive Guide to Cannabis: What is the Meaning of Being a Stoner? | InstaLeaf.ca
Cannabis is a drug, but it's also so much more than that. It's the culture of many people, it's a lifestyle. Some use cannabis for recreational purposes while others use it medicinally; personally I believe that the line between the two is blurred and even when used recreationally cannabis is providing therapeutic benefits. No matter what your reason for using cannabis may be, there are some important things to note about the meaning of being a stoner and what makes someone who uses weed "a stoner." The term was originally an insult but has since become more mainstream and acceptable among the younger generation of marijuana users. Many people identify as "stoners" even if they only smoke infrequently. Some individuals may be afraid to admit that they enjoy smoking weed because it is still seen as unacceptable in some circles, this is the stigma that we're working hard to break down - wear that badge proud. This article explores the meaning of cannabis culture and stoner lifestyle. We will explore what a stoner is, where the term originated from, and how it's evolved over time. Finally we'll offer our opinion on the best examples of stoner movies!
The term "stoner" originated in the 60's and 70's when cannabis use was at an all time high, especially among young people (who were referred to as hippies). Many parents disapproved of these new marijuana consumers, which lead to a lot of tension between children and their parents during this time period. It's important to remember this was around the time when governments were attempting to spread fear about cannabis - Reefer Madness *spooky ghost emoji*. "Stoner" was first used as a derogatory term to describe the type of behavior that parents were beginning to see among their kids; specifically, lack of motivation, relaxed attitude towards life and generally not caring about anything except smoking weed (and listening to music). This relaxed attitude towards life associated with stoners may have also been accompanied by thoughts of large-scale societal change and a lack of willingness to contribute to a corrupt system but that's a conversation for another blog. Regardless of the truth behind the anti-cannabis campaign, it was effective. Words carry an immense amount of power and "stoner" became associated with undesirables.
Today the term stoner has been reclaimed by marijuana consumers and is used to describe a person who enjoys cannabis in some way, turns out this can include anyone and everyone... maybe even the person writing this blog. It's also important to remember that being a "stoner" does not have one specific definition, everyone smokes for different reasons and it can be hard to pin down exactly what makes someone a stoner. In other words, there is no 'stoner criteria', you can be a stoner even if all you do is smoke weed once in awhile.
Personally, I associate the term "stoner" with a diverse, welcoming, conscious community of people.
Stoner comedy is a comedic genre that focuses on the everyday lives of stoners. The films are usually low budget and are better enjoyed when stoned. I wouldn't go so far as to describe any of the following films as particularly high-brow but if it can't be better enjoyed with a bag of goldfish and a bong it didn't make the cut.
- "Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke" (1978)
* The classic stoner movie starring Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong are the stars of this film, which follows their cross-country adventures after being pulled over for smoking weed.
- "Super Troopers" (2001)
* I've probably watched this movie fifteen times so it holds a special place in my heart. The best part about it? It's quotable as hell. Every time I watch this movie, there is at least one quote that has me laughing so hard it hurts. Littering and... littering and... littering and smoking the reefer - This probably wasn't as good for you as it was for me if you haven't seen it.
- "Pineapple Express" (2008)
* James Franco and Seth Rogen - if you don't like these guys, then you should stop reading this post right now... The film follows two stoners after one of them witnessed a murder. The duo then tries to go on the run from hit men while trying not get high by smoking more weed along the way.
- "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle" (2004)
* Harold and Kumar are two friends who decide to go on a quest for White Castle after getting high. The duo has several misadventures along the way, including being mistaken by an officer of the law as terrorists.
- "Cheech & Chong's Next Movie" (1980)
* This movie is a must see for everyone who loves cannabis culture. You will not be disappointed. That doesn't mean it's the only stoner comedy worth watching but Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong are cannabis legends and you're better off knowing why.
The term stoner has been reclaimed by marijuana users and is used to describe a person who enjoys cannabis in some way. There is no one specific definition of what makes someone a stoner but this can include anyone and everyone... even me! For homework I recommend you work your way through some of the stoner comedies provided and if I missed any of your favorites comment below.